The following are some considerations involved in moving a website from one server to another:
- The request to move to another server must be made through the Alentus Support Center.
- A preferred time for the move should be specified (between 07:00 hrs and 01:00 hrs Mountain Time) or if any time is okay, that should be specified as well.
- The type of server to move to (Windows 2000, Windows 2003, Windows 2008, ASP.NET version 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, 3.0, 3.5, or 4.0)
- Note that service to your site will be interrupted for approximately 20 minutes; depending on the number of customizations to your site.
- If moving from any previous versions to newer versions of ASP.NET, we recommend you consult the Microsoft website for possible incompatibilities between applications developed in the different versions of DotNet.
- If your website has had fairly extensive customization, such as non-standard folder permissions, additional users, default document changes, etc; additional time will be needed for the move to take place. The main problems arise when their have been undocumented "customizations" to your site; since they are not on record, they do not get implemented on the destination server. This can occur when permissions are altered by certain types of customer activity (Frontpage, Folder copying, etc.). Often they can be difficult to spot by someone unfamiliar with the website's intended functionality so it is up to the customer to test the site and bring these deficiencies to our attention ASAP.
- Any COM components used by your site should be mentioned in the move request so that we can be sure that they are installed on the destination web server.
- Any non-standard MIME types needed should be specified in the move request.